Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Time Flies


Indeed it does, I have now been in Denmark for over 3 months. I still feel like it was literally yesterday when I was sitting at school thinking "What colour pen should I use to write my Economics notes?". Well now there are a few more things to think about for example, how on earth do I learn Danish when I can't even pronounce the alphabet, how do I not spend all my money when I go to Copenhagen and how do I change the Danish baking measurements to those which are New Zealand recipe friendly? It has really been such a big change, the biggest I will probably ever experience but life's too short to think "what if?". So i will continue to fill you in on what I have been doing all whilst I sit in Danish class at school, you can probably understand why I am not participating.

I feel like quite the social butterfly with something on every weekend and weekdays just flying by. People say the life of an exchange student is easy as we are not given schoolwork (for obvious reasons!) but I still find myself busier than most people and constantly tired which many cannot get their head around. It is one of those many things that only past and present exchange students identify with. Tiredness and chaos aside, I am still having an amazing time and look forward to the coming weeks.

Over the last few weeks have been a blur of friends, travel and school. I am sure i have mentioned my school before but I will do it again for those who may have forgotten (including me). First of all Fredericia Gymnasium resembles a modern art gallery with an extensive and somewhat impressive art collection , even to the untrained eye. The staircase almost melts from the second to first floors, a design lovers dream. The other day I actually plucked up the courage to take some photos inside school as I am in fear of being labelled as the crazy exchange student who acts like an asian tourist taking unnecessary photos of things that are 'normal' and 'no bi deal'. So here they are:


Library/computer area

Staircase . .

Library


Cantine with each classes table

Not too shabby?

The other weekend my family and I went on a road trip to central Jutland, about an hours north of Fredericia (dubbed my myself and Catherine). The plan was to have lunch with some family friends and then go and see what Denmark had to offer in the way of mountains or at least hills. On our approach to what translates as 'Sky Mountain' (quite ironic when it stands at only 170masl), it reminded me of a tamer version of Wellington, it was windy, cold and hilly. But as we all walked to the 'peak', I thought to myself 'Well, where is the rest of it?". It was quite possibly a lower altitude than where my house is in Wellington, charming. There was even a tower which to me felt like it was trying ti be impressive and making the hill that much bigger. It was bitterly cold on the exposed mountain face so we clambered down the steep scree slopes with our ice picks and crampons and found a sheltered area where we could enjoy our picnic of coffee and cake.


On the walk up to Himmelbjerget

Nanna and I in the marriage tree garden

Me with the steep cliffs behind :)

It was so cold, we all had blankets on.

The top of Himmelbjerget

Oh and the other day Denmark decided to return to winter and snow in the middle of April. It was more like slush actually so going home was a really nice (and dry) experience.


As you can see, I was not dressed for it!

Snow with the train station behind.

This past weekend I have also been very busy as it was my gym party (school party) or as they call it, 'Sermo'. I went to a girl's house in my class beforehand and we had a really good dinner before we left for school. It was so much fun to dress up and see my class out of the school environment as sometimes it's hard to get to know my class when all we do is sit in a lecture type class for hours on end. So as we got to school and I was astounded. Everyone was obviously slightly intoxicated which was so strange as you would NEVER see that in NZ (as it would be illegal!). It was such a great night though, I was so tired the next morning as I had arrived home at 3am . . time flies when you're having fun.


At Ida's house. So much fun!

Catherine and I

Again . .

I finished the busy weekend off with more social events as some Aussie (sadly no other NZers!) came to Fredericia to commemorate ANZAC Day which was so nice. It was even warm and sunny enough to have a BBQ, it was like it was summer (I know hard to believe it was snowing a week or so ago!). Today I gave a presentation to my class about New Zealand which I think they liked as I made them afghans . . I was going to make a pavlova but it was almost a certainty that I would ruin it somehow!

Signing off for now as I am in much need of some relaxation.

Hej hej :)





No comments:

Post a Comment