Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Holidays, Hamburg and Frolicking


Hello! I am checking in for another exciting update of my hectic, tiring, overwhelming and amazing life as an exchange student. I will tell you of my awesome holiday in South Eastern Denmark with my 'sweet as' host family and our day trip to Copenhagen, my class trip to Hamburg GERMANY and what I have been up to day to day. So here it is.

In the last few days of the Easter holidays my family and I drove to Nysted which is a small town on the island of Lolland to visit Nanna and Laerke's grandparents. Although we drove the width of Denmark, it only took us 3 hours. We crossed a few million bridges too. Shows how small this place really is . . here I was thinking New Zealand was small. We were staying in Hans and Helga's summer house which was only 3km from their house and right next to the sea. It was such a cute house which resembled a good old New Zealand whare! We spent the few days we had in Nysted eating scrumptious food, walking along the waterfront, playing mini golf(or rather losing mini golf!) and looking around the area. We were lucky as the weather was quite nice most days, a bit 'frisk' though! Here are some pics.


Nysted waterfront

Nanna, Laerke and I at a farm we visited.

Me, Laerke and Nanna on Hans and Helga's farm

Our whare!

Helga, Nanna, me and Laerke by the seaside and a castle behind us (casually!)

It was so nice to visit Hans and Helga, they were so kind to me even though i seemed to make a complete idiot of myself the entire time what with locking myself in the bathroom, unintentionally throwing ice cream across the room and many other cringe worthy moments. It wasn't the end of our holiday as we left Nysted as we were going to spend a day in Copenhagen on our way home!

I am in love with this city, the architecture makes me want to melt so I will let the photos speak for themselves . . .

A cool bridge, google it as I cannot remember where it is!

Nyhavn Canal

Amalienborg Palace where the Danish Monarchy resides (yes including Mary!)

The changing of the guard at Amalienborg


Christiania flag. A free, hippie, 'happy' place if you get my drift . .

It has such a different atmosphere to Copenhagen, I loved it!

The incredible Opera House. Te Papa should be like this, a bold statement of simple design done well.

My favourite photo of bikes in Nyhavn Canal

Danish innovation at it's finest

The bridge from Zealand to Funen, 20km long!

A sign I found amusing whilst looking for a place to eat in Christianshavn Canal

I had such a great few days with the family so tusind tak!!

Then it was Easter Sunday. In Denmark they celebrate Easter over the whole holiday perios thus Easter Sunday wasn't a huge deal. The 'Paaskeharen' gave us a cool easter egg hunt which was cute! Easter didn't feel like Easter as it feels like it should only be January and yet it is already April! I would love this year to slow down so I can catch my breath.


I even (tried) to make Hot Cross Buns! A bit odd tasting but a good try.

Taste of New Zealand

Us on our easter egg hunt!

I hope you all had a good Easter in New Zealand!!

Now just quickly before my fingers fall off from this typing marathon, I had a lovely end to my week last week when my class asked me to go to Hamburg with them on their class trip for the day! So naturally I said "um . . . YES PLEASE!". So we all headed down to Germany on a bus which took about 3 hours, it still throws my mind how we can drive to different countries but i love it! We were supposed to answer some questions about the city but as they were in German I was excused from it so I just walked around and shopped all day! Here are some snaps.


Me and Catherine on the bus

Tehehe our bus name 'blew' my mind

Me and Amalie eating our Berline!

Hamburg was so pretty . .

I am now known as Kurt.

Yes I did have a hamburger in Hamburg! No toy in Happy meal, not happy

Our class ventured to the dodgy area of Hamburg. We were disgusted haha

Hahaha wow I am cool!

Had such a great time with my class, they really are a cool bunch of kids so thanks 2k! I hope we can hop the border together again.

I'll leave you with a candid pic of me and my crazy friend Ellie when we plus catherine were having a blast on the waterfront by my house.




Until next time faithful followers!

Farvel . . .

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lucy! It looks so beautiful and like you are having a great time. I LOVE the shot of the bikes, you should frame it!! We miss you - glad you had a nice Easter - hugs and love from all of us. Dxx

    ReplyDelete