Monday, February 8, 2010

I am finally here . . .


I've done it, I've left my family, friends and school to spend a year in Denmark.

I am on a Rotary Youth Exchange where I am given a 'once in a lifetime' opportunity to live with a family and attend a Danish high school. I think I am really lucky as I am seeing the real Denmark, not the touristy façade that most see when coming to Denmark. I am part of a family where I get to experience the day to day life as well as experience the culture.

I have been here for just over 2 weeks but I feel like its been so much longer. I have fitted in with my host family really well and I feel at home here which is great. I am living in Skærbæk which is a small area just outside of Fredericia. Fredericia is an old military town of about 40,000 or so and is on the east coast of Jutland. Skærbæk is very close to the sea (and although frozen at present) it reminds me of Wellington a little bit. The weather is also somewhat similar, except for the snow of course. The wind here is bitter and brings down the temperature to a pleasant -10C or so. I have experienced my first snowstorm too which deemed very exciting, not just the snow itself but the facet that we had to finish language school half and hour early! It was so exciting and I acted as though I was aged about 5 throwing the icing sugar like snow into the air.

I have been busy over the last few weeks with settling in and trying to get a grip on the language. Danish is said to be one of the hardest languages to learn and I see why. When you look at a Danish word then hear it aloud, they couldn't be more different. It's craziness but I am slowly getting the hang of it, saying j's as y's and d'd like l's. I can now say a few sentences and point at things on the dinner table and recite them which in my opinion is quite good seeing as I arrived in Denmark only being able to say hello and thanks! The true test will come tomorrow when I have my first day at Fredericia Gymnasium but I am guessing most of the classes will go right over my head but I will understand in time (I hope!).

I am off to walk the family dog, Zenta and I have to put another 3 or 4 layers on so I don't freeze!

Watch this space to see if i survive my first day at school.

Here are a few photos of my first few weeks here.


The view from my room at my Rotary Councillor's house on Funen.

My house in Skaerbaek.


Me enjoying the snow at language school in Vejle


View from classroom during snow storm!


At Fredericia train station. Maori Tattoo magazine was quite an exciting find.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lucy!! Great blog - we miss you but are so excited to keep up with you this way. Love from all of us!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi K/L! Great blog - love it!! Photos are brilliant! Looking forward to the next episode! Love from us all here, Judith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lucy. We are long time friends of Ib and Gitte, - we met in Greenland, 25 years ago, - and we have heard about you even before you arrived in Denmark, and we look forward to meet you. Let Ib and Gitte know that we plan to see you all in near future.
    Enjoy your stay.
    All the best from Susanne and Michel Debié

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn - I miss you all too! I am in love with blogging its so easy and fun to do. I'll be sure to keep you updated and vise versa via our blogs!

    Judith - Glad you like it! My mother has been going crazy and sending everyone the link . . she needs to do some more work I think haha. I'll keep adding photos as I have 100s!

    Susanne - Gitte told me she had told a few people about my blog so I'm glad you enjoyed it! I'd love to meet you sometime, I'm sure we can arrange something! Keep updated by looking at the blog, I'll try to update it as much as possible with lots of photos included :) Hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete